Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun - revisited

At 09:10 AM 4/25/2006, Mike, you wrote in part:

If the material being heated is thin (like
paper) energy distributed by conduction would exit from the spot with
circular symmetry, that is, proportional to the circumference of the
spot. If you decrease the spot diameter by two, you increase the power
density by four, and you decrease the conductive path by a factor of
two. That seems like a win-win. If the material is thicker so that the
conduction is into "2pi", then decreasing the spot diameter by two
increases the power by four and decreases the conductive path by four.
That seems like win-biggerwin.

It would appear to me that if conductive losses are bigger for smaller
spots, it would have to be driven by the temperature difference
(delta-T), not by geometry factors. The geometry factors appear to
favor the small spot.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.

Mike, I will take your numbers as read, and instead, examine
the conclusions you draw.
In the case of a paper thin "hull" you find that a small bright spot
is a winning configuration in view of peripheral conduction losses.
By contrast, I find it a losing configuration.

Let me explain. The surface thermal gradient at the edge of the
bright spot is (Thigh - T amb)/ representative distance across
the illuminated edge. (And yes, THIS is where diffraction limits
might be considered, finally)

The surface thermal gradient at the edge of a similar sized spot
on a hull illuminated by distant mirrors is zero.
Because the whole surrounding area is also being heated.

I suppose you could say, that's a 20 times, a 200 times, a 2000,000
times more advantageous gradient for the mirrors?

But wait: if we are examining the practical aspect of burning enemy
ships, I suppose we should consider a representative timber?
Perhaps a 25 mm plank?

If we were to consider a glass of focal length 200 mm,
it is true it becomes defocussed in passing through
the depth of the 25 mm plank, but more significantly, the surface
over which its several watts are spread grows quite rapidly.
We could model the isothermal contours due to bright spot heating
as growing hemispherically with depth to a diameter of twice the
timber thickness , or if the power density were great enough,
then the surface over which the energy is applied could grow as slowly
as a cone of base diameter not much more than the bright spot diameter
and depth equal to the timber thickness?

You will easily see that the power density is rapidly diluted.
Shall we say by twenty times or more , possibly? :-)

In contrast, the mirror approach may possibly maintain its initial
power density, and the isothermal contours are plane.

But this delightful argumentation avoids a fact of timber fire life,
and I am forced to mention it:

It is found that a heavy timber section maintains greater fire resistance
than a steel joist of similar strength, due to the insulating effect of the
timber char. I would be committing fraud not to at least nod in that
direction.

Burning substantial wood sections is not easy.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!