[Phys-l] Chem & physics Modeling Workshops in Dallas, Texas. June 12-30

April 21, 2006
ANNOUNCEMENT:
Two Modeling Workshops: Physics & Chemistry
June 12-30, 2006
Ursuline Academy of Dallas, Texas

Offered through a partnership with University of Texas - Dallas, this
course is designed to help teachers of grades 9-12:
* Improve instructional pedagogy by incorporating the modeling cycle,
inquiry methods, critical and creative thinking, cooperative learning, and
effective use of classroom technology in instruction.
* Master content in physics (mechanics) or chemistry (1st semester content).
* Learn the most effective, research-based instructional strategies,
including effective classroom discourse management, use of standardized
evaluation instruments, appropriate use of technology, and improved content
organization.

Workshop leaders: Brenda Royce (1st semester chemistry) & Kay Fincher
(mechanics).
* Brenda is a superb modeler -- best in the nation!
She teaches chemistry in a "Physics First" high school in Fresno,
California.
* Kay teaches physics, AP and IB physics at Amarillo High School in Texas.
Her Master of Natural Science degree is from Arizona State University.

Kudos for Brenda Royce's chemistry modeling workshop at ASU in summer 2005:
* Great chem workshop. -- Nadine Cronkhite, Sacramento CA
* The class was awesome!! -- Debbie Nipar, Chandler AZ
* Thanks for everything!! It was terrific!!!! -- Kris Rademacher, Tempe AZ
* I have two sections of chem honors, and we've been in class 8 days. That
means I've had fun in chemistry 16 times already. I appreciate what you
have done
for the modeling program in chemistry. -- Frank Lock, Florida AAPT President

Optional graduate credit.

Information about Modeling Instruction is at <http://modeling.asu.edu>
Click on "Modeling Instruction Workshops nationwide in summer 2006."
You can download a flyer about the Ursuline Modeling Workshops there.
The Ursuline modeling workshops are organized in cooperation with the
Modeling Instruction Program at Arizona State University in Tempe.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept.of Physics & Astronomy,ASU,Tempe,AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 16 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.