Re: [Phys-l] Missing universities

At work I use Firefox and Internet Explorer, and at home Netscape. I have no
problem connecting with any other colleges in Pennsylvania or New Jersey or
anywhere else in the country (except maybe one or two in Kentucky), and
before last fall I had no trouble connecting with the universities I've
listed either.

Does any of this help you speculate on a cause?

I once had a similar problem. I could not connect to certain sites using any
browser under Linux (my preferred platform). The sites varied and included
www.netBSD.org and then later my bank's web site! I knew the sites were up and
working since I could connect from other's machines.

The solution for me was to disable the Explicit Network Congestion (ECN)
function in my Linux kernel. ECN is an idea that some claim will help reduce
the load on some heavily used links along the Internet and thus increase the
overall throughput for everyone. However, some sites do not respond properly
to the ECN probes and you never receive a reply back from them (this is quite
a simplification of what really happens but is close enough to make the
point).

I know Microsoft has a Quality of Service (QoS) function which may be turned
on to supposedly allow slow network links to operate in a more efficient
manner. Perhaps MS has also added a form of ECN and this is the trouble.

One might try turning off the QoS function (found somewhere under the network
setup section of Windows) and see if this makes a difference. I would test
this myself but do not have a Windows machine handy...

Mark
--
Mark O. Kimball
Gasparinilab, University at Buffalo | Low Temperature Physics