[Phys-l] atomic degeneracies

Quick question- my chemistry-related stuff is so rusty...

I read the statement "The neutral carbon atom has a 9-fold degeneracy
and a 5-fold degenerate excited level at an energy 0.82 eV above the
ground level" in problem 5.6 in the thermal physics book by M.D. Sturge.
I understand the electron configuratin for Carbon, and the problem
itself was pretty easy to do using the degeneracies given, but where
does the 9-fold and 5-fold actually come from? How would I calculate
those degeneraciy numbers? I know it is probably obvious, but I'm
drawing a blank. Any insight - or a place I can look to learn for
myself- will be appreciated.

Thanks!

david

David Ward