Re: [Phys-l] static electricity lab?

I thought OK was looking for stuff like ice pail; electrophorus, triboelectric charging; polarity, etc. checking w/ leaf electroscope; etc., but then I'm living in the past.

There's tons found by Googling. Here's an example w/ some history:

http://www.du.edu/~jcalvert/phys/elechome.htm#Firs <http://www.du.edu/%7Ejcalvert/phys/elechome.htm#Firs>

bc, who remembers this from the early fifties.

p.s. of course, lotsa field mapping too:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:N0kuhQyv5sgJ:www.physics.uoguelph.ca/~omeara/phys1010/expt1.pdf++electrostatic+field+plot&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5 <http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:N0kuhQyv5sgJ:www.physics.uoguelph.ca/%7Eomeara/phys1010/expt1.pdf++electrostatic+field+plot&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5>

The URL for the PDF is at the top of the page.

See JD for numerical soln. of Laplace: http://www.av8n.com/physics/laplace.html

Eisberg (and Lerner) do a good job of this too.

Herb Gottlieb wrote:

interested.

The only good static electricity lab that I have found is "Electric
field-plotting apparatus" by William B. Lynch in the May 1981 edition of "The Physics Teacher"
journal published by the American Association of Physics Teachers. An
adaptation of his procedure with apparatus is available from Pasco
scientific supply company (PK-9023 Field Mapper Kit) for about 100
dollars or so.

As you might know, I wrote and published a physics lab manual a few years
ago. Experiment 38. "Electric Fields", discusses this apparatus set-up and
procedure for the electric field mapping exercise in detail with follow-up
questions for the student.

I still have several copies of the Teacher edition of my lab book in the
basement
and would be happy to send anyone a copy, postage included, if they send
me
their address with a check for $20.

Herb Gottlieb