Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

Hello John,

You mention a few things in your email that sound very interesting, and I would like
to know more about them, especially as they apply to physics teaching.

John Clement wrote:
If you want to grade something, have them make a concept map, and grade
that.

what is a "concept map", and are there good examples of it? I have never come across
this, so I would need some hand-holding when trying to consider including it in my
teaching.

are studio courses such as Workshop Physics.

a studio course? I will try looking up Workshop Physics to get a better idea of this.

This is improving the scores on the Piagetian tasks of which the
most important are probably conservation reasoning, proportional reasoning,
and two variable reasoning. Once this is done, students will automatically
be able to understand things better, and they will probably have greater
enthusiasm for the subject. This is primarily done by using a learning
cycle approach, with tasks that involve the specific reasoning needed to be
improved.

learning cycle approach? again, are there good starting points for those of us who
have only experience with lecture style?

I've tried to incorporate some peer-teaching, which has seemed to work well, but it
is a bit difficult to measure the effectiveness. where is a good place to start to learn some more effective means of teaching?

It also seems as if there are hurdles to get over during the transition from lecture to a more active teaching style. are there good resources for advice to deal with these issues?

thanks,

bb

--

bblais@bryant.edu