Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class

Yes, -- and my point was purchasing an Apple is buying a platform and an OS -- they are inseparable *. Every one has pointed out, who's going to write a virus for 3 => 5% of the market? Apple's switch to UNIX and their frequent security upgrades ** indicate a marketing hope.

* If I buy an emulator, I'll purposely invite a virus, ... after mirroring the HD!
** I don't remember getting any 'till 10.4.

bc, who used Athena (MIT) for years at UCSC.

Brian Blais wrote:

Bernard Cleyet wrote:

Maybe I'll give up and buy (Gates writes purchase is pretentious.) a windows emulator.

bc

p.s. About the nit pick: is it Apple's OS or the platform that resists viruses, consider, is there an Apple OS emulator for the IBM platform?

It a combination of Mac's New OS (Unix-based) and market-share. When Macs first came
out, there were *only* viruses on Macs. This was because of the active nature of the
OS, and other security issues, as well as being the new kid on the block. Now there
are pretty much only Windows viruses. This is because they have a large majority of
the marketshare (easy target) and their security model is pretty poor. Unix has been
around for a long, long time. Their permissions structure is resistant to viruses,
any security holes found are dealt with pretty quickly.

bb