Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

This is the first semester that I have students wanting to use laptops in class. Our university
requires all incoming freshmen (freshpeople?) to have a computer, preferably a laptop. We also
have wireless internet in many places around campus. Fortunately, we do not have wireless access
in the lecture halls.
So, this semester I have three students out of 125 that are taking notes with their laptops.
occasionally I'll walk around them and see what their putting in. These students seem quite
skilled at rapid and accurate typing and in inserting drawings. It really impressed me to see
that. When I similarly walk around and look at written notes, I am often disappointed that key
points that have been made are no where to be found. Students mainly focus on copying down worked
examples. My point here is that for the sample I have looked at, the students taking notes on
their laptops seem to be doing a better job than their counterparts writing the notes. They seem
more focused, rather than less focused.
I too would outlaw laptops though if we had internet access in the lecture hall.

Take care,
David Marx
Illinois State University

Professor June Entman says her main concern is that students are so busy
keyboarding they can't think and analyze what she's telling them.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/L/LAW_SCHOOL_LAPTOPS?SITE=7219&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CT
IME=2006-03-29-08-21-25

bc