Re: [Phys-l] Warped 2-metersticks....

Ikea gives (or gave) meter long paper tapes. I grabbed a coupala dozen intending to glue * them to steel angle iron.
The tape appears to be treated w/ clay (slick paper as in magazine adds), so rather more dimensionally stable than, say, newsprint.

* A rubber cement (pliobond) might be better than a latex based one (white glue).

bc

James McLean wrote:

Speaking of 2-meter sticks...

Does anyone know where you can buy decent new 2-meter sticks? My department would like to buy some, but we can't find anything good.

Last year we bought some that were made of a white plastic strip glued to a wooden stick Six months later, the plastic strip was buckling (presumably due to wood shrinkage). Imagine a buckle 4cm long and 4mm high - very noticeable! Granted, this probably only gives a mm or 2 of error, but it is concentrated into those 4cm rather than over the entire 2m.

Dr. James McLean phone: (585) 245-5897
Dept. of Physics and Astronomy FAX: (585) 245-5288
SUNY Geneseo email: mclean@geneseo.edu
1 College Circle web: http://www.geneseo.edu/~mclean
Geneseo, NY 14454-1401

von Philp wrote:

I've recently noticed that my long 2-metersticks are becoming warped, even though I am careful to store them lying flat. Do any of you have any suggestions on how to correct this? Would taping or clamping them securely together over the summer help to straighten them out....or is this a lost cause?
We used to straighten out warped 2x4's by getting them good and wet and then screwing them down to the floor for a period of time. Would something similar work for the 2-metersticks? I'd appreciate any advice!
~ Ralph von Philp