Re: [Phys-l] Current as Vector

On Mar 20, 2006, at 2:52 PM, Rauber, Joel wrote:

Gang,

I don't know why I didn' look before, but for those who appreciate an
arguement "from authority"; not particularly me I might add, though I do
put some added weight to the pronouncements of authority.

Griffith's popular upper division textbook on E&M, IMO, plainly says
that current can be considered a vector quantity.

See eqn 5.14 page 208 of third edition, or discussions on pages 211 and
212 of the text.

Howdy,

Vectors behave in certain ways under addition, etc. I don't see how current can be a vector since it doesn't add like vectors; e.g., two currents do NOT add like vectors at branch points in circuits.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs@wideopenwest.com)