Re: [Phys-l] nature of science

Unfortunately this attempting to formulate exact meanings for
sociological/psychological concepts. Certainly one can distinguish between
hypothesis and theory. An equation is defined by its form. But a law or
principle are often indistinguishable. The English language makes subtle
distinctions between almost synonyms because we have accreted similar words
from many languages.

In the end the common historical usage will be used simple because that is
familiar and it is what people expect.

The work theory is so fraught with common usage that it should probably be
dropped from classroom discourse in favor of the term model. This
acknowledges that it is a human construct, and at the same time removes the
"it is only a theory" concept. It also gives us a word which more
accurately describes what we do. We build models of nature based on
physical observations. As such it also excludes all supernatural
explanations.

By all means, we should agree on general definitions, but they will never be
exact. And texts should emphasize that these words helpful descriptors, but
should not be tested. If we can't agree whether Newton's gravitational
equation is a law or a theory, how can we expect students to make such
distinctions. By all means we should try to fight the idea that theories
turn into laws...

BTW is the tomato a vegetable or a fruit? How about a Zucchini? They are
never in the fruit section, but technically they are fruits, according to
some definitions. Students have no confusion over this! What is the
difference between a flower and a bloom?

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I have always wondered why we have Newton's/Snell's Laws but
Bernoulli's/Archimedes' Principles. I feel this discussion is important,
but it is confusing for students. Hypothesis, theory, and law should have
distinct meanings and be used properly.The Big Bang is only a theory and
can never be "proven," but Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation has
worked very well and has never been disproven.