Re: [Phys-l] nature of science

John!

I must be more complete. The formula * is demanded by the state fair in Sacramento. So there is no point in judging a non-formulaic project as a winner, because it'll fail in Sacramento. Those of us who think a project is v. good, but "only" the development of apparatus or exploration of a possible variable, do individually praise the student. I suppose some students cheat, i.e. act like scientists and offer a hypothesis after the discovery.

"who _imagined_ [Correctly, I think likely.] that a certain approach would be rewarded, and instructed their students accordingly."

Just like teaching to the NCLB tests.

* hypothesis and conclusion.

bc, spouse of very angry 1st grade teacher.

p.s. I forgot to add one school or teacher, gave the students (I judged two.) a formula book to fill in. e.g. data pages, blank for hypothesis, space for journal, etc. etc. p.p.s. In other respects it was pleasant!

John Denker wrote:

In the context of science fairs, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

I was a judge yesterday and, as youall can imagine, it was unpleasant ...

I can imagine a very unpleasant science fair, but I can also imagine
the opposite. I've seen both.

I've seen some spectacularly kooky notions about the nature of science
promulgated as part of the science-fair instructions, but in each case
the problem originated locally, sometimes from the local fair officials,
but more often from individual teachers who _imagined_ that a certain
approach would be rewarded, and instructed their students accordingly.

I've seen the requirements as formulated by some of the national
fair-sponsoring organizations, and they seem reasonable. I've seen
nothing at the national level that requires or in any way supports
kooky notions about the nature of science.

I conclude that this is a *local* problem and needs to be addressed
locally, by the local organizers and judges. Get the word out that
kooky notions of "the scientific method" will not be rewarded.

http://www.av8n.com/physics/scientific-methods.htm