Re: [Phys-l] Rel Lab software replacement

On Mar 15, 2006, at 10:16 AM, James Frysinger wrote:

Rumor has it that Mac is soon going to stop supporting Classic mode, starting
with an imminent revision to OS X.

To clarify - I'm pretty sure the end of Classic support is tied to the transition to the Intel chip, not the OS revisions per se. So as long as you don't buy all new Macs, you should be able to run your Classic software indefinitely. But you're right that eventually you're bound to be stuck.

(I would recommend always keeping an older Mac or two around. The only reason I kept my Apple G3 iBook when I upgraded to a G4 Powerbook is so I can boot into OS9 and run Interactive Physics, which barely runs at all in emulation on the newer machines! It's a very strange problem to have. )

Dave Morgan

David L. Morgan
Professor of Physics
Eugene Lang College