[Phys-l] Kirchoff revisited

Gang,

I've been re-reading past threads regarding KVL (Kirchoff voltage Law).

Loosely speaking: "sum of measured voltages around a closed loop is
zero."

The law as stated above has limited applicability due to the existence
of non-potential voltages.

________

My thought is that the law has general applicability if I re-interpret
it as the sum of electrical scalar potental differences around a loop.

I.e. sum of DELTA Phi around a closed loop.

( I note that in general this scalar potential is not sufficient to
determine E, but still exists, as E is determined in general from both
phi and time derivatives of the magnetic vector potential.)

However, (and this is a significant caveat),

While now a generally valid statement it is now of limited usefullness,
because we note that this is not saying the

Integral E DOT dl around the loop is zero for the general case and
therefore can not be related to volt meter readings.

Comments? Critiques?

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu