Re: [Phys-l] Glencoe physics: music

John,

I rarely disagree with you, but I have to object to a bit of what you wrote.

How did volume get to be more critical than length?
I can make two different Helmholtz resonators with radically
different volume but the same frequency.

Did I ever say one was more critical? Both were mentioned and both are important.
See http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/~jw/Helmholtz.html for more details, but the resonant frequency is predicted to be (give or take a few small corrections)

f = v/2pi (A/LV)^0.5

where
v = speed of sound
A = cross-sectional area of neck
L = length of neck
V = volume of container

|| _||_
|| | |
|| | |
|| | |
_||_ | |
|____| |____|

Since you made L(1) = 5 L(2) and V(1) = 1/5 V(2), then LV is constant, and f is constant. However, other variations like

|| vs _||_
_||_ | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
|____| |____|

would NOT produce the same frequency.

Also, containers like

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |

would have different resonant frequencies, and no length has changed.

The mass+spring model is OK (within limits), but doesn't connect to "VOLUME".

Well, the equation above clearly depends on volume, and the example above clearly depends on volume, so I stand by my claim the frequency DOES connect to "VOLUME" - certainly much more than frequency connects to the overall length from top to bottom.

Tim F