Re: [Phys-l] tuning forks

The single tine fork is a rod held at it's center * struck on an end, and is a longitudinal vibration, more expensive, and higher Q. The volume to vibrating surface area is larger, and I guess a longitudinal vibration for the same alloy has a higher Q than a bending one for reason(s) in addition to the preceding. I suppose, "other things being equal", the double tined fork has twice the initial energy for the same amplitude. (HG)

* a saddle with three (or more?) pointed screws

bc, who sadly doesn't have one.

p.s. a rod stroked by a rosin coated cloth (skin / hand?) oscillates. I presume it also is the fork I described above. They were used to excite the air in a Kundt's tube.

Herb Gottlieb wrote:

1. If a tuning fork had only one tine it would be called a tuning pick or a tuning skewer rather than a tuning fork.

2, The tines balance each other by always vibrating in opposite
directions. This tends to increase the time that the fork
vibrates after having been struck.

Herb

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:25:10 -0600 "Sykes, Dave" <Dave.Sykes@llcc.edu>