Re: [Phys-l] iPod music compression (memorizing)

The analogy I would use here is more in terms of pre-processing, post-processing, or no processing.

Examples: Memorize the multiplication tables. Now multiply two six digit numbers--that requires post-processing because the memorized facts must be used in a non-regurgitation format.

Ohm's Law.

a) One can memorize I = V/R, V = RI, R = V/I no processing, and hope that the quiz/test asks for simple regurgitation.

b) One can memorize I = V/R then derive the other two forms as needed (post processing).

c) One can really learn that the Current is directly proportional to the Voltage (and try to understand why) and inversely proportional to the resistance (understanding the nature of resistance in an object). This is pre-processing. One easily then can derive all the algebraic forms.

(a) and (b) can be easily forgotten--(c) should be reasonably imprinted.

Unfortunately, too much of our educational system gives students the illusion of success through 'no processing' memorization. In science we often accuse Biology of following this format although that is not intrinsic to the subject and certainly Bio can be taught so that the 'no processing' technique is worthless. We also can fall into the trap, especially with lower level (HS and INTRO College) courses. We complain that students try to memorize algorithms for solving problems. That in itself is not, IMO, the problem, but rather it is when the students can't post-process their memorized algorithms to properly conform to new problems.

In the end, we all need SOME data with which to feed our cognitive processes. We need to know some facts--to have memorized some stuff (vocabulary and spelling, although the latter is disappearing)--in order to feed our higher thinking modes.

Rick

Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, Indiana
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
Free Physics Educational Software (Win & Mac)
NEW: Updated animations packages.
COMING: Spanish language versions.
Energy 2100--class project
www.saintmarys.edu/~rtarara/ENERGY_PROJECT/ENERGY2100.htm