Re: [Phys-l] base knowledge erosion

Mike notes and asks:
-----Original Message-----
From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Monce,
Michael N.

I recently gave an exam that had a problem on geosynchronous
satellite. To solve the problem the student should obviously know the
rotation rate of the earth. Well, I now know that 5 students out of a
class of 24 had no idea that 1) the earth rotates, and 2) that the
rotation rate is 24 hours. i.e. they had no idea what causes day and
night. Is it really that bad out there???

It may be. I once announced that students should meet me at the
Observatory if was clear on the night of a scheduled lab, or in the
science building if it wasn't. A student asked, "How do I know if it's
clear?"

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately

it kills all its pupils." - Hector
Berlioz

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department