Re: [Phys-l] Small rant (was: What students will do)

| To what end? Check your students at the end of each
| semester (quarter, or what else), and tabulate the fraction
| that hangs on to their texts. The used book market is
| lively, unless you go along with the publishers and switch to
| the newest edition every three months or so.
| Still, from what I've seen, students prefer whatever cash
| they can get from their texts to any possible utility the
| books may have in the future.
| I consider this a well-deserved fate for these mostly
| graceless, pompous exercises in pedantry.
| Regards,
| Jack

A good reference book is a reasonable end in itself, IMO. Yes, I know
that very few of my students keep their texts as a reference. That
doesn't mean keeping a reference book isn't a good idea.

Joel R.

Who still refers to "The great eggplant" occasionally,
The edition that came out after "the great pumpkin";

Which was my first year Physics book