Re: [Phys-l] iPod music compression

I've heard golden ear people could tell the difference between glass and silicon audio, hence the audiophile mag. "Glass Audio". I found (find) the best Philips compact cassettes very inferior to vinyl. When I last recorded *, I used a Sony PCM modulator demodulator that stored the info on NTSC Beta or VHS tape. That machine is very sophisticated in that the info is not recorded serially but quasi parallel, i.e. parts of each "note" are spread out over the tape so that a drop out doesn't cut a note but a small part of many. Then the sophisticated repair app. fills in the gaps. These machines also have a stereo FM track which I parallel recorded. Often I'd notice a drop out on the analog track completely missing from the digital. But this was cutting edge in the 80's, now we have flash mems, CD's and HD's.

In answer to your tech question the first <ipod music compression> from GOOGLE is:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5540512/#storyContinued

* Before that I used glass NAB open reel Revox and Ampex's.

Now anyone w/ minimal budget can record better than the recording companies of the 70's. The greatest expense is the microphones

bc

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I have 3000+ CD's, and am thinking of buying an iPod. Does anyone know how
the iPod compresses songs? Specifically, what frequencies get chopped off?
And can a music enthusiast like myself really hear a difference between
the compressed music file and the original song on CD?