Re: [Phys-l] iPod music compression

I am the proud owner of a generation one antique iPod. Still works great.

I can tell the difference when a song is ripped at qualities of less than 192bkps. It seems to make more of a difference on some pieces of music than others. Fast transients will be lost.

A really bad encoding will sound as if you are listening to an old single speaker transistor radio - highs and lows are muddy. Different encoders _are_ different. iTunes does a neat and tidy job compared to some ripping programs I have tried and for iPods its the only game in town.

Hard drive real estate is cheap; go large. On the other hand, I have ripped audiobooks at 64 kbps without finding the loss of quality disturbing.

Take a good look at the importing tab under the iTunes preferences before starting to rip your collection.

You can always use Apple's lossless encoder, but I chose to stay with mp3 for compatibility.

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics Teacher
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy