Re: [Phys-l] expand your mind

At 09:21 AM 2/24/2006, you wrote:
I haven't followed this thread that closely, but aren't we missing something
here?

The metal piece is expanding because the temperature of the material is
increasing. The bagel expands for much different reasons--probably more
similar to blowing up an inner-tube than heating a washer.

Rick (more into eating bagels than into bagel physics ;-)

Richard W. Tarara

Aw Rick - you are such a party-pooper!

When I was being quietly amused by visions of leavened yeasty
stuff, swaying on low friction, even fluid beds.
There are still bike inner tubes than can easily be purchased, and
whose inner diameter can be verified, when pressurized a little,
then more....

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!