Re: [Phys-l] Relativisitic mass vs Invariant mass

Fayngold, Moses wrote:

I think anyone who really appreciates elegancy, would admit that it is far more elegant to introduce the concept of relativistic
mass

Well, I think I appreciate elegance as much as the next guy,
and I don't admit any such thing.

... rather than go through indignities of Eq. (1) and especially (3).

As the proverb says, no matter what you are doing, you can always
do it wrong. Equation (3) is the wrong way to do it -- so what?
Multiplying the rest mass by gamma is preposterous for massless
particles -- so what? As John M. and others have pointed out,
the right way to do it is

E^2 = (pc)^2 + (mc^2)^2. [A]

or, in the form I consider slightly preferable:

E^2 - (pc)^2 = (mc^2)^2. [B]

Anecdote: I use gamma so rarely that I barely remember the definition.
In contrast, I use the dot-product between 4-vectors all the time.
Equation [B] expresses the invariant gorm of the [energy,momentum]
4-vector.

I have never understood the seemingly idolatrous attachment to E=mc^2.
It looks simple to naive eyes, but alas it is too simple. There's
a lot you can't do with it.

I posted the following puzzle a couple of years ago.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/gravity-source.htm
So far nobody on the list has taken the bait.

I would be particularly impressed if somebody could solve this by
computing the mass (m) via "m=E/c^2" and then using that "m" in the
gravitational-force equation.

Let me know if you succeed. Otherwise I will continue to believe
that "E=mc^2" is not the whole story.