Re: [Phys-l] geometry of spacetime (was: relativisitic mass ...)

Thanks for the excellent links posted earlier in this thread. I posted them on the IB online curriculum centre physics forum, where the following post, by Philip Freeman, was among several responses. Posted here with permission:

copy-paste begins***********************************************
"...as a relativist (and one who is moderately familiar with the geometric models as well as GR) I am STILL prepared to come to the defence of relativistic mass. Basically my argument would be the following:

Why do we wish to use invariant mass? The short answer is that it is more elegant, and that using mass as an invariant allows us to see the other invariants of relativity more directly. These are good things, but largely a matter of taste.

So... why would we want to use relativistic mass ideas? Well, for one thing it underscores that the "=" equals sign in E=mc^2 is an identity, not a conversion. This is true for ALL forms of energy if we use the concept of relativistic mass, but only true of all forms of energy EXCEPT kinetic if we use invariant mass.

Basically invariant mass is the energy in an object which we cannot 'see'. If you heat an object the internal energy increases, and so does its 'invariant mass'. BUT this energy is, if we look more closely, largely in the motion of the atoms and we have unknowingly used relativistic mass (the rest is in the fields, which we want to deny invariant mass to as well...). Oops... so we will regroup and look that the invariant masses of the atoms, now a different value than the invariant mass we had for the whole object. But the energy of these in turn is largely 'hidden' energy in the motions of the constituents of the atoms and the internal fields, and so on. Each time we look more closely we discover that the "mass" is not mass at all, but forms of energy which we are trying to exclude from the invariant mass. Ultimately, if certain current theories of mass and particle composition are true, there may be NOTHING THERE to have invariant mass.
What we call the invariant mass is, in fact, dependent on the state of our knowledge of the system.

In summary: you can go with relativistic mass -- in which case some symmetries are cluttered up and you have a mass parameter that varies with the observer. Or you can go with invariant mass in which case the symmetries are clean and the parameter does not vary... but it is knowledge dependent.

The general topic of the article as I understand it is that relativistic mass is taught as is for pedagogical reasons. That the concept leads to misconceptions if not taught clearly. Therefore it is not pedagogically valid, and thus should not be taught. I think the "not taught clearly" is an important rider... but in any case nothing in the argument addresses what should be the central question, which is not "what is pedagogically sound" or "what is popular or fashionable" but "what gives us the best understanding of reality (whatever that means)?". The answer to that last question, it seems to me, is simply "it depends"!

As a former prof of mine used to quote... "You pays your money and you takes your choice".
PF

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.