Re: [Phys-l] current vector

While it is true that the notion of current often--as when it flows in a thin wire--has a strong directional sense to it very much LIKE a one dimensional vector, I don't see how one can rigorously treat it as a vector.

Suppose I have a REAL wire with some current flowing in it. I challenge anyone to give me an operational procedure to rigorously associate a useful "vector current" with a specific position (or cross section or whatever) of the wire.

John Denker wrote:

We would have big problems with the Biot-Savart law (among other things) if [current were not a vector.]

I disagree. It is true that I am guilty of having pointed out to classes that it might seem somewhat odd to use "I dl_vector" (as most textbooks do) as the infinitesimal source element in the Biot-Savart law. Superficially, at least, it might seem more attractive to associate the direction of the source element with the current itself.

As a practical matter, however, one usually comes to realize the advantage of associating the direction with the dl_vector after doing some complicated integrals using the Biot-Savart law.

More to the point, the Biot-Savart law really OUGHT to be written using "j_vector dV" (where dV is an infinitesimal volume element) as the infinitesimal source element, but I'd just as soon skip the unnecessary headaches THAT would surely cause in an introductory course.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>