[Phys-l] Phys-L: Miracles in Education

In her Dewey-L post of 18 Feb 2006 titled "Dewey Joke," Celinda Scott
(2006) related a joke she had found on the "John Dewey Project in
Progressive Education" site <http://www.uvm.edu/~dewey/> of the
College of Education and Social Services of the Univ. of Vermont
[bracketed by lines "SSSSSSS. . . ."]:

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Imagine a modern educational reformer at a séance successfully
calling up John Dewey.

Reformer: "Professor Dewey, we have labored for 15 years to improve
America's schools without success. Please tell me how we can create
the kinds of schools our children need and deserve?"

Dewey: "Well, there's the natural way and the miraculous way. Which
do you want?"

Reformer (his idealism faltering): "The natural way."

Dewey: The natural way would be for God to send down bands of angels
to visit every single public school and transform them into places of
true learning."

Reformer: "Good heavens! (gasp) What then is the miraculous way?"

Dewey: "Ah, the miraculous way would be for the people to do it themselves."
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

And speaking of do-it-yourself miracles, in "The Physics Education
Reform Effort: A Possible Model for Higher Education" [Hake (2005)],