Re: [Phys-l] prime time

Hej!

My favo. program, after American in Canada, is desperate housewives. I like the soft core porn.

bc, thinks the black one is the most healthy, then, curiously, the PR woman, of the bunch. Carlos is rather good too. [Graduated from Dr. Who and Red Dwarf.]

p.s. we watch again and again Judi Dench in, As time Goes By. -- Just saw her in Mrs. Henderson.

Matt Coia wrote:

My household is currently a Nielsen house (for over a year now) and it's
much less labor intensive than what Jack did. Nielsen came in and installed
'taps' on every video device in my home which then monitor the video being
watched at any particular time. The video output levels are recorded, sent
back to Nielsen HQ in florida via phoneline overnight, then compared to the
database of broadcasts to determine what you watched, at what time, and for
how long. We receive a small (very small) stipend for being a ratings
house. They've told us that we represent about 60k households.

Anyway, the ratings process is completely transparent for us and requires no
effort on our part.

To answer the original question, Nielsen does monitor in (relatively) real
time. Ratings are an 'estimate' based on the data collected from households
like mine. Needless to say, channels like Discovery, History and the
Science Channel get disproportional amounts of viewing when I'm around. Of
course, my wife needs her Desperate Housewives etc, so it evens out.

Matt