Re: [Phys-l] Textbook petpeeves: circuits

Amen.

But circuits aren't the only case. How about t when it should be (delta
t), or x when it should be (delta x). The only reason I tend to use Q/V
on this list is because it takes more effort to write Q/(delta V) and I
only use (delta V) in email when I really think the audience might need
it, or if I am making a point by it. If it were easy to use the actual
symbol in email, I would use it.

Please know that in class I always write (delta V) rather than V (unless
it really is V) and if students leave out the delta in homework and lab
reports I mark it. I think if you would ask my students about delta
this or delta that they would say, "Edmiston is on a crusade over
delta."

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University