Re: [Phys-l] solid state physics

For details see a book on solid-state physics e.g. Ashcroft & Mermin.
I tried googling but did not immediately find any cogent discussions
online. I can find the diagram:
http://www.uvm.edu/~dcloughe/images/si.gif
and others via
http://images.google.com/images?q=silicon+band-structure
but not much useful discussion.

LOL, speak for yourself. I refer to a site found by clicking your google images link:

http://britneyspears.ac/physics/basics/basics.htm

The discussion halfway down the page, on band structure and effective mass, includes the illuminating band diagram :-)

True, I did not find the answer to the immediate question at hand. Seriously, I will search through my SS texts to see if I can add anything more that's actually worth something.

Stefan Jeglinski