Re: [Phys-l] RC Discharge

I wrote:

Two points:

1) When we talk about "the charge" on a capacitor, we are referring
to the magnitude of the NECESSARILY equal and opposite charges on the
facing surfaces. Any excess charge that ends up on the nonfacing
surfaces is irrelevant to the fundamental operation of the capacitor.

2) The amount of excess charge that ends up on the nonfacing
surfaces depends on the geometric details of the capacitor's
construction.

One MORE point:

In view of the above, the "plates" of a capacitor ought to be distinguished from the "conductors" from which it is constructed. The "plates" should be understood to consist of "those portions of the surfaces of the conductors that directly face each other across a very narrow gap." In principle this is an ambiguous definition, but in practice the ambiguity is usually minimal.

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>