Re: [Phys-l] RC Disharge Analysis

Bob S. said, "[Serway] is correct if i is defined as positive when it is CW (in your previously drawn circuit), and q is the charge on the lower plate. Note this also defines the relation i = dq/dt."

I agree we can say we are choosing I as positive when positive charges are moving clockwise. But that is not the figure in the the Serway text. Serway has the capacitor on the left with positive plate down. The resistor is on the right with current arrow pointing up (i.e. current is assumed, by Serway, as CCW). Serway says -q/C - IR = 0. That means he applied the loop theorem traversing the capacitor from bottom to top (CW loop) and he traversed the resistor from bottom to top (CCW loop). He switched his loop direction when he applied the loop theorem.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817