Re: [Phys-l] Is the friction relationship a model or a law?

I think rolling friction comes not from sliding and crushing / breaking of the "rough edges", but from climbing out of a hill. e.g. inflated hard tire vs. soft one *, rail vs. road, etc. The model, at least in the case of steel on steel, is Hooke's while the auto is less elastic, both in the tire and the air.

I was about to write Ahh, so it's Hooke's model (never perfect w/ different degrees of perfection, e.g. fused quartz vs. a rubber band), but ...

"[By the way, Knight makes
the same comment about Hooke's law and Ohm's law.]"

I don't understand; pse. elaborate.

bc, who never thought friction followed a law; "maybe a rule?", but it can be about as good as Hooke's, n'est pas?

* An expt. to check how good the rule, would be to use a bicycle cart (garden, etc.) w/ various loads pulled w/ a spring scale. Various inflations would give a family of curves.

Robert Cohen wrote:

I am using Knight's text for scientists and engineers (copyright 2004)
and I have a couple of questions on what he says about friction. On
page 134 he gives three equations for friction:

static: f_s <= mu_s n
kinetic: f_k = mu_k n
rolling: f_r = mu_r n

I have several questions:

1. Knight writes that these equations are a "model" of friction, not a
"law" of friction because while they are reasonably accurate
descriptions of how friction forces act, they are not perfect. Because
they are simplifications of reality that work reasonably well, they are
more appropriately called "models", rather than laws.

I can see why Knight makes these points - he wants to distinguish
between "laws of nature" that are "always true" and empirical
relationships that are "mostly true". However, the way he is using the
terms "model" and "law" are not the way I would. Rather, I'd call these
laws (or, at least, empirical relationships) which, like Hooke's law or
Ohm's law, describe an observed relationship. [By the way, Knight makes
the same comment about Hooke's law and Ohm's law.]

Later on, Knight provides an explanation for friction based on how
surfaces are "jagged" on the microscopic scale. I would call that a
model of friction (regardless of whether I agree with it or not). Is my
usage consistent with the way everyone else does or should I change to
how Knight uses the terms.

2. Would mu_r (the coefficient for rolling friction) be any different
than, say, mu_s? And, why would rolling friction always be the same?
In my mind, I can accelerate a car with a whole range of accelerations
so the rolling friction must be able to vary also. What am I missing?

This is the first time I'm using Knight so there might be subtleties
that I am missing.