Re: [Phys-l] "Lazy members"

Rick Tarara wrote:
Well if everyone just 'googled' answers to their questions, the only traffic here would be your non-sequitur political comments and other such 'ravings' (like this one). ;-)

I don't know about that.

There's always quite a bit of interesting on-topic non-lazy traffic.

The last few days have been particularly interesting to me.
-- Joe's pointer to the Oas article saved me a bunch of work.
-- Bob's article on expansion / heating +- cooling is definitely a
"keeper" and is not the sort of thing you're gonna find by googling.
-- I got some insightful suggestions on my gas-laws writeup.

Also, googling is a bit like playing the piano: some people are a lot
better at it than others. Practicing for a few thousand hours helps.

There's a big gap between questions that could _easily_ be answered by
googling, and questions that could _in principle_ be answered by googling.

In general, there's a big difference between questions of the form
a) "Tell me the answer to XXXX", versus
b) "I tried this and this and this and this, and here's how far I got,
but I'm still confused about YYYY".

Type (b) questions are much more likely to elicit my sympathy.