[Phys-l] Insulation R-value

Greetings everyone. I have a student who recently heard of homes being
built with Styrofoam walls and another home with miniature wheat/straw
bails. He's wanting to do a project to measure their R-value (Resistance to
heat flow) of different materials. He's done some research on it, but
hasn't come up with how the R-value is determined. I think I once saw that
the R = ((delta)Fahrenheit x ft^2 x hours)/Btu...is this correct? The
formula doesn't look right. Has anyone done a lab on this or knows how it
is determined?

Thanks,
Dwight
Crestview HS