Re: [Phys-l] Relativisitic mass vs Invariant mass

Laurent Hodges wrote:
> I remember reading something by Einstein once (a paper? a chapter in a book?)
> and noting he didn't write E = m c^2 but E-sub-0 = m c^2, where m was clearly
> what we call the rest mass.

Well, that paper/book must have been a fairy tale.

I've located it. It is on the bottom of page 46 of "The Meaning of Relativity" (Princeton University Press, 1922), apparently "consist[ing] of the text of Mr. Einstein's Stafford Little Lectures, delivered in May 1921 at Princeton University."

Also on page 46, in natural units, he gives E (not E-sub-0) as E = m / sqrt( 1 - q^2) with q the speed. It seems pretty clear that his "m" is the same as our "rest mass." I'm looking at Einstein's equations, not the words in translation, which seem a little muddled in places.