Re: [Phys-l] Parents don't see a crisis over science and math

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006, Rick Tarara wrote:

Specifically to the article--we have failed, both in math and science, to
sell the public (meaning our students) on the importance of this knowledge
and these skills to their successful functioning in the modern world.
Despite a huge emphasis put on this in my gen-ed course, I still will hear
the comment (from a few)--I don't need to understand this stuff, I don't
want to understand this stuff---I just want to use the fruits of science.
______________________________snip________________________________

[Cases in point are the
International Space Station and future manned exploration of Mars. Public
opinion is negative on both--but the public has been poorly educated as to
the ultimate benefits of each of these expensive projects to human society.]

Educated scientific opinion is also opposed (See Bob Parks' "What's New" weekly postings) extravagances of the military-industrial
complex. So the public seems to be ahead of this particular critic.
Also, note, it was the public - the parents - who went after the
schoolboard in the Dover, Pa. cases. Beware of generalizations, especially such facile ones as these, for all generalizations are false
(including this one).
Regards,
Jack