Re: [Phys-l] gas laws

(Feedback)

After a very very quick glance at

http://www.av8n.com/physics/gas-laws.htm

I have a small quibble near the end in Sect. 4-2

" . . .For example, in an ideal gas, all of the thermal energy is in the
form of kinetic energy. . . ."

I understand the misconception you are quite rightly trying to address.
However, it does depend on your model of the ideal gas. Certainly it is
valid for the monatomic ideal gas. Earlier you explicitly consider the
case of a diatomic ideal gas. If such a gas is modeled as a rigid rotor
than your comment is spot on; however if it is modeled by a non-rigid
rotor (spring connecting the two "atoms") then even in the ideal gas
model there are potential energy degrees of freedom.

When I cover ideal gas models and their connection to values for
specific heat I definitely use the non-rigid rotor as an example. In
part to proffer up a counter-example to the misconception you mention.

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293