Re: [Phys-l] Have I been excommunicated?

Mark!

This is the one I remember not "appearing", with subject: PLUS CA CHANGE, PLUS C'EST LA MÊME CHOSE

[I add: E. Crankshaw in Khrushchev's Russia pointed out that the Soviet Union was stagnating because of just the same reason as described below. Conformity and regimentation were fine for defeating the Germans, but not for making a modern society.]

Test of the new UTF-8 conformity. (Just kidding.)

THE TRUE HISTORY OF PUBLIC EDUCATION

MEMORY HOLE - John Taylor Gatto was voted the New York City Teacher of
the Year three times and the New York State Teacher of the Year in
1991. But he became disillusioned with schools - the way they enforce
conformity, the way they kill the natural creativity, inquisitiveness,
and love of learning that every little child has at the beginning. So
he began to dig into terra incognita, the roots of America's
educational system.

In 1888, the Senate Committee on Education was getting jittery about
the localized, non-standardized, non-mandatory form of education that
was actually teaching children to read at advanced levels, to
comprehend history, and, egads, to think for themselves. The
committee's report stated, "We believe that education is one of the
principal causes of discontent of late years manifesting itself among
the laboring classes." By the turn of the century, America's new
educrats were pushing a new form of schooling with a new mission (and
it wasn't to teach). The famous philosopher and educator John Dewey
wrote in 1897:

"Every teacher should realize he is a social servant set apart for the
maintenance of the proper social order and the securing of the right
social growth."

In his 1905 dissertation for Columbia Teachers College, Elwood
Cubberly - the future Dean of Education at Stanford - wrote that
schools should be factories "in which raw products, children, are to
be shaped and formed into finished products. . . manufactured like
nails, and the specifications for manufacturing will come from
government and industry."

The next year, the Rockefeller Education Board - which funded the
creation of numerous public schools-issued a statement which read in part:

"In our dreams. . . people yield themselves with perfect docility to
our molding hands. The present educational conventions [intellectual
and character education] fade from our minds, and unhampered by
tradition we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive
folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children
into philosophers or men of learning or men of science. We have not to
raise up from among them authors, educators, poets or men of letters.
We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians, nor
lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we have
ample supply. The task we set before ourselves is very simple. . . we
will organize children. . . and teach them to do in a perfect way the
things their fathers and mothers are doing in an imperfect way.

At the same time, William Torrey Harris, US Commissioner of Education