Re: [Phys-l] Allowing inline pictures / attachments

Yes it is I. I had to try reducing its size several times * before I got it below 50K [I thought it was 50 so that may be another problem ended up trying w/ 48K] . Above that it automatically was rejected w/ the note "too big".
However, I haven't received the pic, contrary to Dan's msg. (My fault?) Also since I replied to JD's request on the success of UTF-8, no one new that Netscape 7.2 works fine (w/ encoding / decoding set at UTF-8!) except for a missing super script asterix (*). Perhaps JD typo'd.

In answer to the question:

Wow!

What an improvement, now if we could incorporate pics ...

As well as I could see all symbols reproduced.

bc. pleased almost as punch.

pic deleted here:

* After the first try I sent it to myself and turned on the size column in my in box.

bc

p.s. I don's know how to post stuff to my web site (a friend did what's there), so it would be very convenient to be able to include in line pics and scanned drawings, etc. 40/50K is probably quite adequate for showing equip. pics and included drawings, etc.

John Denker wrote:

This is a test of the features of the phys-l mailer, which was recently
upgraded from listserv(tm) to mailman(tm). This message uses the utf-8
encoding, as discussed at e.g.
http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/encoding.htm#sec-unicode

All of the following look nice in *my* mailer (Mozilla) and will probably
look fine if you view the archives with a decent browser (if earlier
tests are any guide).

cut

Dan MacIsaac wrote:

Mark (and everyone):

I just let an inline photo message go to see what would happen. I am not
generally in favour of letting inline photos and attachments go through
until we have good virus sweeping proofed. At one time the size of
recipient mailboxes and internet connection speeds were a major constraint
on PHYS-L subscribers. I'm not sure if this is still an issue given that
times have changed. However, we will need some max cap on message size
to avoid flooding mailboxes regardless of the above (to prevent huge photos
or dissertation length attachments etc). It'd be nice to get some
subscriber feedback on this.

I think I prefer to move slowly and conservatively on this; given that we
are still getting our feet under us again.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>