Re: [Phys-l] Allowing inline pictures / attachments

However, we will need some max cap on message size
to avoid flooding mailboxes regardless of the above (to prevent huge
photos or dissertation length attachments etc). It'd be nice to get some
subscriber feedback on this.

Attachments have been the demise of every list I've seen that allows them, unless it is a list that is specifically designed and run by cognizant administrators to do this (like a pictures mailing list or something). Things go well for a while, but sooner or later something bad happens. Of course, you could say the same thing about off-topic posts as well :-)

My personal preference is for a straight text list, no attachments. It's rare that one can't get across what he or she wants in this way. If attachments are really that necessary, they can be supplied on a web site with an URL reference.

And... while I was able to see John's characters just fine, with I think one exception that I don't quite understand (using Eudora on OSX 10.4), I suspect there will be a large percentage of users that have problems with it one way or another. So while it can and should be allowed, I unfortunately have to fall on the side of discouraging extensive use. The lowest common denominator list-lurker is just not there yet it seems, and sometimes through no fault of their own.

Stefan Jeglinski