[Phys-l] turn up the heat

It seems to me that the easiest way to answer the question of whether an alcohol thermometer needs to be fully immersed to be accurate is to try it, probably in ice water. The best way to know is to observe.

Nice list, by the way. John Denker's table is handy. Lovely typography. Everything works in Apple's Mail application except the bra and ket (which I learned are called "angle brackets"). They come out as crop marks. John's table works well in Firefox, but not in Safari or Explorer on a Mac. I guess I will just have to keep my replies classical.

Attachments are, in my opinion, a dispensable luxury, given problems with viruses and limited connection speed for some members of the list, though I have neither problem. Share your megabyte JPEGS with one member at a time, on request.

Leigh