[Phys-L] Re: [BOBPARKS-WHATSNEW] What's New Friday February 10, 2006 (fwd)

Incidentally Deutsch also decreed that the word theory had to always follow
"big bang" because it was just an opinion and not a fact. Now if I were to
decree a word, I would use model. This removes the misunderstood word,
theory, and gives it a more accurate word. Deutsch probably never heard of
the only previously serious alternative to the big bang, continuous
creation. He would be even more upset by it because then the universe had
no creation.

I have been told by someone who has lived in Turkey and speaks about 9
languages that there are a number Islamic writers who claimed that it was
impossible to go to the Moon because it was against the will of Allah.
There are also apparently a number of Muslims who believe on religious
grounds that the Moon landing was faked. Of course there are a number of
Americans who also believe this for other reasons. Kooks abound.

It reminds me of the little old lady who said that people were not supposed
to go to the Moon. They should stay at home and watch television as the
good Lord intended.

Unfortunately, politicians have never really accepted scientific results
when they conflicted with their notions. It is just that the current
administration has been very outrageous in this respect. I also personally
know people in the EPA who have told me that they are allowed to go after
the person who dumps oil in their backyards, but they are forbidden to
prosecute business people who engage in larger scale polluting. I am told
this didn't happen under previous administrations, including Reagan. The
current administration has infused the government with an anti-science,
pro-fundamentalist, anti-itellectual, anti-environment, anti-freedom
ideology. Whether we know it or not we are under attack as scientists.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX