[Phys-L] Re: tiny bubbles

Ionizing rays, entering the vessel would play a role. But your ideal
world probably does not have such rays.

On Feb 10, 2006, at 8:59 PM, Stefan Jeglinski wrote:

Students were wondering what would happen if the glass were
"perfect."
Where would the bubbles begin to form? I assume more bubbles would
form
(uniformly) in the deepest part of the liquid (champagne or boiling
water), but I don't know for sure. Can anyone support or refute this?

It seems to me that a fresh clean glass of water heated in a microwave
has something to tell, when it postpones the development of gas
bubbles.
Providing nucleation sites by sprinkling a powder, or agitation
seems to
promote all at once out gassing.

But what about the original question? Is the ability to superheat
water (for example) entirely related to one's ability to prepare both
the water and the vessel? Imagine, if you will, "ideal" water in an
"ideal" vessel (that is, no nucleation sites, and other things, like
pressure, equal). Would it superheat indefinitely? Or would
convection or other gradients eventually trump the absence of
nucleation sites?

Stefan Jeglinski

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.