[Phys-L] Re: tiny bubbles

Water boiled in a microwave can do something like this.

good writeup at:
<http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage2.html#coffee>

I've seen it happen personally - it's scary.

Scott

On Feb 10, 2006, at 4:09 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:

I know that champagne bubbles form at imperfections in the glass,
and then
rise up from these "nucleation sites." Similarly, when boiling
water in a
beaker, the bubbles form on the glass bottom at the imperfections.
Students were wondering what would happen if the glass were "perfect."
Where would the bubbles begin to form? I assume more bubbles would
form
(uniformly) in the deepest part of the liquid (champagne or boiling
water), but I don't know for sure. Can anyone support or refute this?