[Phys-L] Re: Electric Field?

I don't understand the complication. JD and others have described
numerical solns. of LaPlace's eq. Several text's describe the method
in detail, Eisberg and Lerner in particular.

As I earlier posted, the algebraic method is rather easy.

Or am I missing the point?

bc

Rick Tarara wrote:

Turns out I was smarter 5 or 6 years ago than I am now--having forgotten how
I actually did the fields lines. What I actually do (and clearly I must
have understood this better at the time) was to do exactly what I say
below--calculate the force on the test charge, the acceleration, the
velocity and the new position--all for a small time increment, BUT THEN I
reset the velocity to zero before doing the calculation again. To the
accuracy of the small time interval then, this (I think) should work
reasonably well. As John alluded to earlier, there are probably easier ways
to generate the field lines, but I wanted to animate them based on the idea
of a test charge--and ended up with what's described.

Rick