[Phys-L] Re: Doppler film loop

A boxed edition of the three volumes + an additional supplement is on
sale at Book shop Santa Cruz for over a $100. I asked if they'd lower
the price to bc affordability if it doesn't sell. The reply was, no
they'd return it to the publisher. It's in a glass locked cabinet w/
expensive art, etc. books.

bc, who shouldn't be surprised it's still "in print".

Edmiston, Mike wrote:

Concerning the library throwing out something without checking, Joel
said, "I hope you complained vociferously."

I say amen to that. We got a new librarian a couple years ago and she
was concerned about lack of shelf space in the stacks, so she started
"pruning" the collection of "old out-of-date worthless books." Without
asking she pruned (she literally threw in the trash) the Feynman Lecture
Series and the Berkeley Physics Series. Of course I did not discover
this until they were gone. When I complained, she said they were too
old and couldn't be of much value. When I got angry and told her that
no bona fide librarian would throw out old books without checking their
value she got angry back and told me it was her decision. Being at a
small institution, I went straight to the president. Even though the
president is not a scientist, she had heard of Feynman.

Now the librarian must check with each department before throwing out
any old books dealing with that department. I thought I would not be on
speaking terms with the librarian any more, but she eventually
apologized and said she had made a mistake. Things got even better last
year when her car went in the ditch on a snowy road and I stopped and
pushed her back onto the road. She asks my advice quite often now.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817