[Phys-L] Re: What students will do. (was: Physics Solutions Manual)

On Wed, 8 Feb 2006, Rauber, Joel wrote:

Jack,

Out of curiousity, what was your answer?

About 5 minutes, covering the following topics:
1. My job is to teach you how to learn for yourself.
2. When you go out into the world, the problems you will face will be
different from the ones we are solving here. You are learning methods,
not specific answers.
3. Most of what I know, especially in mathematics, I've learned for
myself; this is also true of my colleagues. You will have to do the same
if you become an engineer or a researcher.
4. A purpose of reading is to learn how other people think, so that you
can copy their thinking patterns.

Maybe nmore -I forget.
Regards,
Jack