[Phys-L] Elecric Field Lines

David Abineri’s question about electric fields reminded me of a problem I have
always had in visualizing the field surrounding two equal positive charges.

Consider two equal positive charges on the x-axis where q1 is at -1m and q2 is
at +1m. clearly the field is zero at the origin and the field lines are
directed straight up on the +y axis and straight down on the -y axis.

The electric field “lines” are also linear on the x axis; to the left from -1m
to infinity; to the right from +1m to infinity; to the right from -1m to zero;
to the left from +1m to zero.

I am concerned with the region between the vertical lines x = -1m and x = +1m.

I had mistakenly thought that lines in this region would always approach the y
axis; in other words, if a line set out from a charge toward the y axis it
would never eventually curve away from the y axis.

This clearly cannot be the case, since if we consider any point on, say line y =
-1, (other than 0,-1) the x component of its electric field is negative,
meaning it is part of a field line headed (somewhat) to the left. Since the
field line originated on q1 it must have started out headed to the right.

My question is: Are there any lines that approach the y axis asymptotically, or
do all lines that begin between x = -1 and x = +1 eventually curve away from
the y axis (and eventually cross my vertical boundary lines)?

Thank you in advance for any insight. I look forward to reading the responses
in the list serve digest tomorrow.
--
Stuart Leinoff
Professor of Physics