[Phys-L] Re: Physics Solutions Manual

Those running it even solicit users! So, last I checked anyone could
use it. The faculty sponser is C. Fred Moore. He has presented
several papers at meetings on using this service. Somewhere there is a
documentation that is unbelievable. I had to print it out to get
permission to use the system at the "for profit" school for fear of
copyright infringement...

You and your students will all need to obtain a "UTEID" (an electronic
ID that replaces social security numbers for identification, and lets
UT track hackers). That takes about 5 minutes via the site:
https://hw.utexas.edu (home of the HW server) which will take you to
another link to obtain a UTEID. Typically, it is your 1st and last
initials and about 4 numbers.

**Make sure you do not lose the password, as retrieving it is not easy.**

Once you have the password, you can go back to the hw.utexas.edu site
to login. NOTE that the URL does not have www in it. Since you are
not taking the course, and have not set it up, you need to email Patsy
McDonald that you are a faculty member and where you work and that you
wish to use the HW server. Include your EID and she will set you up as
a *faculty* user. When you return to the hw site, and login with your
EID and password, you can set up your class (it doesn't have to have
anyone in it if you want to just print hw sets with the same values
for your own copying).

You will need to create a course number. Typically, it is a 5 digit
number and might be your school's ID for the particular course. UT
Physics reserves the numbers ending in 0 and 5. I used parts of my
phone number one time. This semester, I changed the last digit from a
5 to a 6. Once you do this, the page has all of the options. Early
on, you will want to set up the grading scheme, even if you don't use
it as your grade book, because the HW service needs a place to record
your students' grades when they electronically turn in their HW.

Like anything, it has its quirks, but I would not consider any other
way, after using it.

One improvement in course management that came from ACC suggestions.
I added a portion of the HW grade for turning in *one* properly laid
out problem per HW set. By that I mean, writing down the list ov
variables with values if given, making a sketch of the problem,
arriving at a suitable equation or several choices, solving
algebraically for the unknown, and substituting in the quantities,
solving, and correcting units.

Ideally, students should be doing this for every problem, so an
alternative to the lay out is to have them turn in a "homework book"
with worked problems. Even if after solutions are posted, they will
have a valuable resource.

Let me know if I can help after trying he EID location.

Quoting "Rauber, Joel" <Joel.Rauber@SDSTATE.EDU>:

Karl,

Is this HW server, something that anyone can use? Or just UT folks?

If its something that anyone can use, can you post some more info?

Joel Rauber
Department of Physics - SDSU

Joel.Rauber@sdstate.edu
605-688-4293