[Phys-L] Re: optics terminology

Kilmer, Skip requested:

a better term for the definition all our testbooks are calling "focal point"?

Two answers:

*) In the special case where that point happens to coincide with the focus,
I'd just say "at the focal point".

*) In the general case where the focus is somewhere else, I'd might say
"at a point one f from the mirror" ... but more likely I wouldn't
say anything at all, because such a point has no particular physical
significance in this case. Indeed, for a spherical mirror, there
are innumerably many points one f from the mirror, none of which
have much significance except in special cases. (The _center_
has significance, but that's something else entirely.)